Table of Contents
- Which is the Best Lawn Mower for Small Gardens?
- The Challenges of a Small Garden
- What Type of Mower do I Need?
- 1.The Mini Lawnmower – Flymo Easimo
- 2. Best Small Cordless Electric Lawn Mower – Flymo Mighti Mo
- Technical Specification
- 3.Best Small Hover Mower: Qualcast Hover Collect
- 4.The Best Small Push Mower – Bosch AHM 38 G
Which is the Best Lawn Mower for Small Gardens?
Let’s find out! In this review I’ll tell you my top picks of lawn mowers for small gardens.
The vast majority of houses in the UK have postage stamp lawns that require little mowing. The more likely challenge is finding a place to store a lawnmower, and figuring out how to use one.
The lawnmowers that excel in this arena are compact, lightweight, and so easy to use that a monkey could do it. Now hang on, that might be a good idea!
The Challenges of a Small Garden
The shoebox houses of British suburbia are getting smaller and smaller. We live on a tiny little island in the north Atlantic where space is at a premium.
Nobody wants this precious space taken up by a lawnmower. So it might be wise to buy one with foldable handles that means the mower requires less space to store. Some lawnmowers can also be hung from hooks on the walls to free up floor space.
As you might end up storing your mower away from the garden in the garage or shed, then consider how you might lift it . Small light electric mowers like the Flymo Mighti Mo have integrated handles that makes them easier to carry.
Most lawns are not perfect rectangles, and might have lots of nooks and little spaces that make mowing a hassle. For these sorts of spaces, a wheeled lawnmower might not be the best fit. Instead I would reccomend using a hover mower, which unlike a wheeled mower can move in any direction and so is often easier to use on rough terrain and in small confined areas.
Most people will not want to use a bulky petrol mower on a small lawn, so you have a choice between corded electric, battery, or push mowers. Battery lawnmowers like the Mighti Mo tend to be expensive compared to similar corded models, but avoid the hassle of wrapping your cable around flowerpots, or worse mowing over it.
What Type of Mower do I Need?
For a small garden you probably do not want to mess around with a petrol mower — they will create needless complications. Who wants to bother with petrol and fumes when you could just plug in and go.
For a small lawn you are better off either buying a manual mower, or an electric mower. To make life easier for you, I’ve chosen four mowers that come in the top of their category:
If you are looking for a mower which will give your lawn the regal touch of stripes, then take a look at the Flymo chevron.
For those who are sick of faffing around with a cable and are willing to pay a little more for a battery lawn mower, consider the Flymo Mighti Mo.
If a (hover mower) is your weapon of choice, then you can’t go wrong with the Qualcast.
For push mower enthusiasts with a small garden, the Bosch AHM 38 G is your best bet.
1.The Mini Lawnmower – Flymo Easimo
- Ergonomically designed for simple and easy use in your garden
- Collects and compacts more grass for less emptying of the 29 L grassbox
- Lightweight at only 8.3 kg, allowing easy transportation and storage
- 32 cm metal blade, designed for use on small to medium sized gardens
- Choice of three cutting heights from 20-60 mm
Resembling a vacuum cleaner or dinky toy more than a lawn mower, this contraption makes mowing the lawn child’s play.
As the baby in the Flymo family, this mower is lightweight, easy to assemble, and and perfectly suited for pocket handkerchief lawns
The only downsides are the lack of balance; as the mower tips slightly when the grass box is full, and there is also nowhere to store the cord when it’s not in use.
Related: Full Flymo Easimo Review
- Weight: 8.3kg
- Cutting Width: 32cm
- Grass Collection Box? Yes
2. Best Small Cordless Electric Lawn Mower – Flymo Mighti Mo
- Powered by a 40V li-ion battery (battery and battery charger included)
- Provide the ability to cut a Lawn up to 250 meter square
- Five different cutting heights to choose from Cutting width 30 cm Cutting height max 65 mm Cutting height min 25 mm
- The battery takes 120 minutes for a full recharge, so will be ready to go again next time the lawn needs a cut
For those with a little more cash to spend, the mighti mo allows you to do away with the electric cable that trails behind most electric mowers.
This untethers you from the house, and gives you the portability needed to reach inaccessible lawns or gardens that dont have easy plug access.
The Mighti Mo is a good solution for the increasing number of lawns with no nearby plugs. It weighs little more than a vacuum cleaner, and can easily be carried through the house to an inaccessible lawn.
The only downsides are that it is no good for overgrown grass, so you will need to mow regularly, and that the battery very occasionally falls out of its fixing when the mower is jolted.
Related: Full Flymo Mighti Mo Review
- Weight: 9.9kg
- Cutting Width: 30cm
- Cutting Heights: 25 – 65 mm
- Grass collection Box? Yes
3.Best Small Hover Mower: Qualcast Hover Collect
- Qualcast Hover Collect Lawnmower - 1500W.
- double sided blade that's sharpened on both sides.
- 1500 watt electric hover motor.
While Flymo might be the most famous hover mower manufacturers, they have been outdone by qualcast — whose hover collect mower is perfect for small suburban lawns.
This hover mower has plenty of power, and is quite capable of tackling long or wet grass. It will struggle with grass that is too thick though, so you will need to mow regularly.
Otherwise, the hover collect is ideal if you have an odd shaped lawn that would benefit from a maneuverable mower, or if you just like a mower that can be dragged in any direction.
Related: Qualcast Hover Collect Review
- Weight: 10.2kg
- Cutting Width: 33cm
- Cutting Heights: 12mm – 33mm
- Grass collection Box? Yes
4.The Best Small Push Mower – Bosch AHM 38 G
- 38 cm width of cut
- Five bladed cylinder and rear roller
- 15-43 mm height of cut
- 25 L grass box capacity
- Easy to push, high geared side wheels
Perhaps the simplest of all lawnmowers is the (push mower), and the Bosch AHM 38 is a push mower perfect for tackling small lawns.
If you don’t fancy having a cable trailing behind you but can’t be bothered charging up a battery, then a push along lawn mower might be the best choice.Push mowers require no electriciity, and can often tackle a small lawn in the time it would take to setup and plug in a more complicated electric mower. This makes them extremely convenienet.
The Bosch is lightweight, simple, and provides a decent cut.
Just bear in mind that it does require marginally more effort – so will even help keep you fit!
- Weight: 7kg
- Cutting Width: 38cm
- Cutting heights: 15-43mm
- Grass collection Box? Yes