Which is the Best Petrol Strimmer?
That’s what we’re here to answer. In this review I’ll break down the best petrol strimmers in 3 different categories:
- Best Petrol Strimmer on Wheels — Hyundai Wheeled Strimmer
- Best Lightweight Petrol Strimmer — Trueshopping Two Stroke
- Best Overall Petrol Strimmer — Einhell Petrol Scythe
The word strimmer is a portmanteau of ‘string’ and ‘trimmer’ that was devised by B&Q in the 1970s.
Otherwise known as grass trimmers, strimmers are essentially the modern version of the scythe– and are widely used for cutting through undergrowth, edging the lawn, and chopping away at corners of the lawn that are hard-to-reach with a mower.
Strimmers are not to be confused with brushcutters, which use a metal blade to cut through vegetation rather than a rotating nylon thread.
As they are more powerful than electric strimmers, petrol strimmers are better suited to cutting large areas of long grass, brambles, or stubborn weeds. With no need for a plug, petrol strimmers are also more suitable for gardeners working away from the house — as all you need is a can of petrol to strim all day.
On this page I have selected several of the best petrol strimmers currently available in the UK.
1.Best Petrol Strimmer on Wheels — Hyundai Wheeled Strimmer
- Powered by a 50.8 cc petrol engine
- Mounted to large wheels for increased manoeuvrability
- Foldable handles for east transportation and storage
- Lightweight design at just 15.96 kg, ideal for large properties
- Ideal for users who find handheld grass trimmers/strimmer's too strenuous; all Hyundai power equipment is covered with a 3 years warranty
Many gardeners considering purchasing a strimmer will be put off by the weight.
To get around this problem, South Korean manufacturer Hyundai offer a wheeled strimmer, which offers remarkably good quality for the price point. Unlike handheld strimmers which must be held aloft (often at great cost to your back), this can be easily pushed along with poise on a pair of wheels.
Much like the small cars of the same make, the strimmer is well-designed, easy to start, and durable enough to tackle most suburban domestic applications.
With 51 cc behind it, the 3mm line — which is thicker than the usual 1.5mm —- packs a powerful whip and should last longer than the thinner nylon often used. This rotates very quickly and cuts grass into a fine mulch over several passes.
It certainly packs more power than your average hand held strimmer, allowing you to cover ground faster and in more comfort without having to hold a weight.
Of course, does lose out maneuverability because of this, and wheels themselves are only plastic so could break – although seem relatively strong and come with nice big knobbly tyres
Strimmer is easy to assemble and comes with accessories —- visor, gloves, ear defenders, and petrol/oil can.
Extra line is also supplied, but only a metre so you will need to order more at some point.
On the downsides, some users have taken issue with the plastic cutter head, but this can be replaced with an alternative from a different manufacturer (T35 head).
The manual has also faced criticism for being difficult to read and glossing over important details, but of course any self-respected gardener will get straight to strimming without reviewing the manual first!
- large wheels for manoeuvrability and balance
- 50.8cc 2-stroke petrol engine
- Cutting width of 400mm-450mm
- 800ml fuel tank
2.Best Cheap Lightweight Petrol Strimmer — Trueshopping Two Stroke
- New Trueshopping Powerful Petrol Grass Trimmer Brush Cutter 2 Stroke 26cc engine.
- Engine Type: Single Cylinder Air Cooling 2-Cycle Gasoline Engine. 07KW / 1HP.
- Carburettor: Diaphragm, Rotary Valve, MIXING RATIO: Petrol 25/ Oil 1, Ignition: CDI Power: 0.7Kw.
- Transmission Method: Automatic Centrifugal Clutch, Spiral Gear. Fuel Tank Capacity: 0.6L.
- Please be aware these items are powerful and heavy. For ease of use please consider a lower CC or electric model.
Don’t be put off by the generic ‘Trueshopping’ brand name, this petrol strimmer is a very reasonable budget option and comes in several different sizes — 26cc, 33cc,43cc,49cc,52cc.
The smallest of these are also quite lightweight, making them ideal for those concerned about weight.
Strimmer is supplied with a cross body harness which takes this weight over the shoulders quite comfortably.
As for the action, the strimmer is powerful and quick, and makes light work of long or short grass
The 26cc is the lightest and least powerful, but still offers plenty of power and build quality is solid with an alloy frame of decent thickness. This one is ideal for small-scale strimming jobs like edging lawns or clearing out weeds and brambles. Very easy to use, and the only downside is build quality, with some parts feelin very cheap and plasticky.
But assembly is easy with simple instruction manual and the strimmer is very easy to use. If parts do break, then the Trueshopping customer service team are reportedly very pleasant to deal with and happy to issue replacements.
- Twin line and 3 toothed cutting blade
- ergonomic harness included
- varied cc engines
3.Best Overall Petrol Strimmer — Einhell Petrol Scythe
- High-grade and low-vibration two-stroke engine
- Easy start - auto choke and electronic ignition
- Centrifugal clutch for cutting tool
- Split shaft for easy transport and space-saving storage.Easy reach controls on adjustable, aluminium two-hand bike handle design
- Capacity of fuel tank:0.9L
Einhell are renowned for producing robust and reliable garden machinery, and the petrol scythe is no different.
This is a very capable strimmer, can tackle long grass, brambles, and thick undergrowth. The strimmer runs well and has several innovative features that make it easy to use.
The two stroke engine has a crank shaft with double bearing and anti-vibration function providing smooth and low-vibration operation.
A split shaft, allowing you to fold the strimmer into the boot of the car for transporting.
As for weight, this clocks in at around 9kg, but sits reasonably well with a harness distributing the weight.
- High-grade and low-vibration two stroke engine
- Handle with all control elements
- Handle with split shaft for easy transport and space-saving storage
- Twin line spool with automatic jog system
- Quick start through primer (manual fuel pump) and auto choke
- User-friendly carrying strap
Why does the line on my strimmer keep snapping?
Breakage can come from cutting too close to walls, paving edges, or other solid rough objects. The line must be able to rotate freely.
Nylon strimmer line can become brittle if left in cold conditions over winter. Store in warm dry place for best results.
How does the strimmer string feed mechanism work?
Some strimmers have auto feed, which works on centrifugal force to continuously feed line out as its needed. The other strimmers usually have bump feed which requires you to bump or push down on the cutting head.