In these times of economic uncertainty, with Brexit, trade wars and what not, many people aren’t too bothered about a fancy lawnmower — they just want a cheap ‘ un to get the job done.
Many times I get people asking me, what’s the best lawnmower under £100?
Now you can’t get a lot for a ton, and it’s definitely not feasible to get a decent petrol mower under £100, but what you can get is enough for a small lawn.
Whether you like a hover mower, which are best for small oddly shaped and sloping lawns, a rotary, the standard classic wheeled mower, or a manual push lawn mower which many favour for its near silent snipping and ecological benefits, you can find a decent mower for this price if you choose carefully.
Here are a few of my top picks.
Best Hover Mower Under £100
- Powerful 1300 watt motor
- 4 heights of cut (12 - 32mm)
- 20 litre collection box
- 12 metre mains cable
- 30cm metal cutting blade
The Flymo EasiGlide 300 is at the lower end of the Flymo range, but is still a decent option, and it has a collection box unlike most flymo hover mowers, which can mean less work if you don’t like to pick up your grass clippings.
The mower is a rotary with a 1300 wartt motor ad a 30cm blade, that is well-suited to small to medium sized lawns (the cable is 10m long, so you will need an extension if your lawn stretches further away from the house than that)
- A simple Flymo, the build quality like most of the recent models is lacking slightly, with a plasticky feel – but the mower is easy to set up and use you can be up and running in no time.
- Cut quality is reasonable, but hover mowers are not designed for a premium finish – for that you want a cylinder mower.
- Easy to push and maneuver
- The 20l collection box means no more than one or two emptyings are required per sesssion, assuming the grass is relatively short and the lawn is relatively small.
- When you have finished, the mower folds up nice and small, and can be hung up in the shed or garge
- Easy to use, fairly light, long cable.
- The handle doesn’t stretch up too far, making it a little awkward for taller people who might find themselves mowing wit bad posture.
- The collection function is not particularly efficient. It tends to blow grass out to the sides, but this can be helped by simply walking slower.
- As the mower doesn’t have a particularly good cutting range it is not good at getting up to edges and borders, but the same could be said of most hover mowers.
- Weight: 8.5kg
- Cutting Width: 30cm
- Grass Collection Box? 20 litres
- Motor: 1300 watt
- Cable length: 10m
- Cutting heights: 12 – 32mm
Best Wheeled Rotary Mower Under £100
- 32cm Metal Blade
- 3 Heights of Cut (20mm - 60mm)
- 29 Litre Grass Box
- 10 Metre Mains Cable
- Rear Roller
It might look like a toy but this lightweight wheeled rotary mower does a decent job on the lawn, and can even achieve that that classic striped finish.
- Extremely lightweight, easy to carry, and quick to assemble
- Cuts well on flat lawns
- Relatively short cable, so you may need an extension.
- Struggles with longer grass, and not well suited to rougher terrain.
- Small grass box gets filled up very quickly
- Only really suited to very small lawns
- Very plasticky appearance and build quality
- Weight: 9.9kg
- Cutting Width: 32cm
- Cutting Heights: 20 – 60 mm
- Grass collection Box? 29 litres
- Cable length: 10m
- Rear roller: Yes
Best Push Manual Mower Under £100
- Side wheels for longer grass
- Tool free height of cut adjustment
- Height of cut: 10mm - 40mm
- 2 piece rear roller with Self adjusting cylinder adjustment
- 18 Litre grass collection box
Solid hand push manual mower from a British manufacturer, heavy duty with hardened steel blade, easy height adjustment, and 18 litre grass collection box
- Cuts the grass wonderfully – a superior cylinder cut
- All metal bodywork and solid construction, but not too heavy to carry even for elderly
- Blade height is easily adjustable
- Easy to assemble, easy to push, and very quiet to use!
- Nice clackety clack sound rather than the roar of a petrol mower
- Grass box collects well (when it stays on)
- The grass collector is a bit flimsy and can fall off when you mow over bumps – Webb could do with devising a better way of attaching it.
- Weight: 9.1kg
- Cutting Width: 30cm
- Cutting heights: 15-43mm
- Grass collection Box? 18 litre
- 2 piece rear roller