Which is the Best Cordless Lawn Mower?
Let’s find out. In this review I’ll look at my top picks of cordless lawn mowers:
Corded vs Cordless Lawn mower
Cordless mowers aim to combine the best of both petrol and electric mowers; giving you the mobility and power without the petrol or the pollution. This is great news if you are sick of traipsing around with a cumbersome cord in tow, or worse, have ended up here because you have already ended up mowing over it. Advances in battery technology have made cordless lawnmowers more usable than ever, and so they are now a viable alternative to a petrol mower.
Cordless mowers are generally much less noisy than petrol mowers, less polluting, and require less maintenance.
With no need to plug, cordless lawnmowers are also far more convenient than corded mowers, which can be tricky to maneuverer around the lawn with the cable trailing behind you. This is especially true if there are trees, shrubs, or kids play equipment on the lawn to entangle you.
A cordless lawn mower on the other hand, can move around far more easily, and is not limited in its range by the length of the cord. This makes them especially suitable for lawns that are not close to a power socket.
But what are the disadvantages? Well there are a few things: First off, you should know that cordless mowers have a limited run time. You can only use the mower as long as the battery power allows it. Some mowers, like the Black & Decker Autosense come with two lithium-ion batteries so you don’t need to stop and recharge if the battery life doesn’t cover your whole lawn.
Other factors can also affect the duration of the battery life. Thick or wet grass requires more energy to cut, and will reduce the amount of lawn you can cover.
If you have neglected your lawn for a few weeks at the height of summer, thne you might find that mowing it requires significantly more energy – not only for you but for the mower. This will lead to faster depletion of the battery power and may mean your usual cut is not achievable on one charge.
So when you look at a mower make sure you consider the advertised cutting area on one battery charge, and realise that most of these manufacturers give optimistic predictions.
For those with small to medium sized lawns who mow regularly, a cordless lawn mower can be an extremely convenient way to keep the lawn nicely trimmed.
Cordless Lawn Mower Comparison
- Best Cordless Mower for Small Lawns – Flymo Mighti Mo
- Best Cordless Mower for Large Lawns – Bosch Rotak 43
- Best Self-propelled Cordless Mower – GreenWorks V40
- Best Cordless Mulching Mower – Black & Decker Autosense
Best Cordless Lawn Mower For Small Lawns: Flymo Mighti Mo
- Powered by a 40V li-ion battery (battery and battery charger included)
- Provide the ability to cut a Lawn up to 250 meter square
- Five different cutting heights to choose from Cutting width 30 cm Cutting height max 65 mm Cutting height min 25 mm
- The battery takes 120 minutes for a full recharge, so will be ready to go again next time the lawn needs a cut
Compact, cordless, and weighing little more than a vacuum cleaner, the Flymo is perfect for mowing small or inaccessible lawns. If your lawn has no outdoor access, or no nearby plug sockets, then the Mighti Mo might just be the best cordless lawn mower for you.
In terms of cut – although the collection box is small,the cuttings compress well into it, and the battery is more than adequate in terms of power and running time for most lawns. Once you have finished then the handles fold up easily for storage against the cutting deck, allowing it to be easily stowed in a small space.
The drawback is that the battery can become hot during use and you do need to wait until it cools before you can recharge, which takes around five minutes. The battery also has an annoying habit of becoming dislodged from its position should you jolt the mower, but this shouldn’t be a concern unless you have a particularly bumpy lawn.
Click here for a full review of the Flymo Mighti Mo 300 Li Cordless.
- Claimed Cutting Area on one Charge: one tennis court /up to 250m2
- Battery Capacity 40V, 2Ah Li-on
- Blade length: 30 cm.
- Number of Cutting Height: 5 (25mm-65mm).
- Grass box capacity: 30 L.
- Charge time: 120 minutes.
- Free run time: 25 minutes.
- Weight: 9.99 kg.
Warranty: 12 month warranty from Flymo
Best Cordless Lawn Mower For Large Lawns: Bosch Rotak Cordless 43 Li Ergoflex
- The Powerdrive LI + motor system ensures a reliable cut even under difficult conditions
- 2 x 4.0Ah Batteries
- 50-litre grass box provides greater capacity and reduces interruptions needed for emptying
- AL 3620 Charger
- 430mm Width 36V
The Bosch Rotak Cordless has won awards from consumer group Which?
and has several practical features that make it well suited to medium-sized family lawns.
If you have children around, then safety is always a concern. To this end the Rotak not only does away with the cumbersome trailing cable, but also incorporates a ‘safety key’ iwhich disables the mower if you need to leave it unattended. This means kids cannot accidentally set it off by playing with it.
For those with back problems or mobility issues, the ‘ergoflex’ ergonomic handle is designed to reduce reduce back and arm strain whilst mowing. The mower also incorporates a central carrying handle for moving to and from the lawn – and at 13 kg is light enough to be easily transported.
Other features help minimise the amount of organic matter left on the lawn that might interfere with family activities, and reduce the amount of general cleanup work needed. The serrated edges of the blade supposedly help collect leaves in autumn, and Bosch claim that the ‘Optimised airflow ‘ will allow you to effectively collect up to 90% of grass clippings. A grass comb at the edge of the mower pushes grass into the blades, which helps reduce unsightly strips left along walls and fences at the lawns edge.
Bosch recommend the Rotak 43 Li for tackling lawns of up to 150m2, and should you need to recharge, it can be 80% charged in around an hour. The amazon package linked provides two lithium-ion batteries, which if charged and used correctly provide a minimum of 40 minutes to 1 hours use depending on the cut and how wet the grass is.
- Claimed Cutting Area on one Charge: up to 150m2
- Battery Capacity 36V
- Motor Power: 1,800 W
- Blade length: 43 cm.
- Number of Cutting Height: (6) 20 -70 mm
- Grass box capacity: 50 L.
- Charge time: 140 minutes.
- Weight: 13.9 kg.
Best self-propelled cordless : 40V Greenworks
- 46cm (18") cutting width mulching ratio 3: 1, rear grass collection or side discharge. Motor protection Against blade impact
- Complet Lawnmower including 2x G40B2 Batteries and 1x G40UC Charger.
- Runtime on The G40B2 2ah Battery 30 mins
- Approved by the EPA and energy Star approved. Requires 35% less energy. Zero emissions, zero carbon foot print. 70 % less vibration. No petrol, no fumes. Trigger start. No service costs.
- G40uc Charger and 2of G40B2 Battery included.
This model is a rare beast — a self-propelled electric cordless.
You get two G40B2 Batteries 2ah for 40V of power and you should have sufficient power to get through around 800m2 of lawn with no problem, all while being pulled along!
With a 46cm cutting width and the freedom of a cordless lawn mower you can get through the average lawn quickly and easily. Another benefit is that it recharges quickly in roughly 30 minutes.
The motor is brushless for quiet operations and efficiency. The comfortable and padded handles have a throttle control to allow you adapt the power according to your needs in different parts of the garden. This is also a safety feature as the blade will stop spinning automatically of pressure is taken off the throttle. The battery charger is included and the batteries can be used with other 40V Greenworks power products.
The model has low energy consumption and is Energy Star approved. Vibrations are extremely low for a more comfortable experience and there is no hassle of fumes or topping up petrol. Zero emissions make the lawnmower environmentally friendly. It is low maintenance and the trigger start is reliable and fast.
You have a choice of rear collection in the 55L grass box, side discharge or handy mulching. The lawnmower has a big deck size and a generous 46cm cutting width so work should be quick and easy. The self-propulsion is further enhanced by an easy to operate variable speed controller for the ideal pace according to your needs and environment.
- 7 Cutting Heights from 25mm to 80mm
- 55L Grass box
- 40V power with dual 2Ah Li-ion batteries
- 46 cm cutting width
- Self-propelled with variable speed
- 13.4 kg weight
- 30 Minute charge time
- Mulching feature
- Brushless motor
Best Cordless Mulching Mower: Black & Decker Autosense
- Autosense Technology to operate at the optimum level for the task
- 3 in 1 mulching function to enrich the soil
- Large 50l grass collection bag
- 7 height adjustable settings (38-101mm)
- Robust 48cm base
It may be cordless and electric, but this is a big and heavy mower. With a 48cm cutting width and space to carry a spare battery onboard, it weighs in it around 22kg.
All this weight and power makes it well-equipped to tackle large lawns, and Bosch claim it can tackle areas of up to 600m2.
The idea of ‘Autosense Technology’ is that the mower detects cutting conditions and operates at the optimum level according to the power needed at that moment. This is supposed to extend runtime during lighter cutting tasks, like if the grass is already in good condition.
As for mulching, the mower does a reasonable job of chopping the grass into small pieces, and scattering them evenly.
Once the mowing is done, the mower can be hung up by a handle, or folded over the back of the body with some quick release handles.
- Claimed Cutting Area on one Charge: up to 600m2
- Battery Capacity two 36V 2.0Ah Li-Ion batteries .
- Free run time: 45 minutes.
- Blade length: 48cm
- Number of Cutting Height: 7 height adjustable settings (38-101mm)
- Grass box capacity: 50 L.
- Weight: 21.5 kg.
Best Powerful Cordless Mower: Lawnmaster
- CLEAN & QUIET POWER - The 60V MAX 5.0Ah battery-powered brushless motor delivers all the range and power of a petrol lawn mower with none of the mess, noise or maintenance. The large 46cm rotary cutting diameter makes easy work of large areas and the rear roller delivers a professional finish to any lawn.
- QUICK & CONVENIENT - No cords, no fuss and a fast charger mean that you spend less time mowing, and the quick-release levers make it easy to fold up the handles so that you can store the mower away neatly in your garage or shed.
- 4-in-1 FUNCTIONALITY - Choose whether to collect grass clippings for disposal, eject grass from the deck at the side or rear, or finely mulch the grass to return nutrients back to the lawn. This mower comes supplied with an extra large 60L grass collection box, a side discharge chute, and a mulching plug.
- POWER & BATTERY DISPLAY - iPower allows you to select the right power according to mowing conditions, low power for light mowing and maximum runtime, high power for tougher conditions, or maximum power for really stubborn or tall grass. Easily check the remaining battery capacity at the touch of a button.
- ADJUSTABLE CUT HEIGHTS - Effortlessly change the height of cut between 25mm & 75mm using a single, central lever. For best results, leave grass slightly longer to get the perfect striped finish and maintain a healthy lawn.
This cordless lawnmower from Lawnmaster has multiple advantages. It has a decent power of 60V and uses a 5.0Ah battery. With a 46cm cutting width it is suitable for use on medium gardens and will even be practical on larger lawns. This makes it a viable cordless alternative to petrol lawnmowers. The design offers greater freedom and ease of movement.
The iPower feature will select the ideal power for your environment. This will increase efficiency to help you get the most from the battery. It is easy to ready the available battery capacity so you always know how much power is remaining. Depending on the conditions, you will get around an hour of operation and it takes around 85 minutes to charge.
The Lawnmaster can handle thick and tough grass and is even effective in wet grass. What is great is that despite the power this model operates with minimal noise. This is great for you, your family and certainly your neighbors. The brushless motor not only reduces noise but also makes it more efficient and reduces the need for maintenance.
The benefits of it being a battery powered cordless lawnmower are self-evident. It is quick and easy to start and operate. You will have no hassles with cords or topping up petrol so it is extremely convenient. The Lawnmaster also features foldable handles making it easy to store when not in use.
You have a few options with your grass clippings. The large 60L grass box will save you time and effort while mowing. Alternatively, one can chose a side discharge or you can use the mulching feature. Mulching is a good way to save time while improving the nutrients in the soil beneath the grass at the same time.
- 6 Cutting Heights from 25mm to 75mm
- 60 L Grass box
- 60V Cordless Lawnmower with 5 Ah battery
- Brushless motor
- 46 cm cutting width
- 19.5 kg weight
- Rear roller for striped finish
- Side or rear discharge as well as mulching feature
Maintaining your Cordless Lawn Mower
Blade: Inspect the blade for any damage, and sharpen or replace if necessary (wear gloves)
Ventilation: Clear the vents and the cutting deck any other areas that might fill with grass. Use a damp cloth or compressed air to remove any grass clippings that have collected here and any residue that might have stuck to the bottom.
Bolts: Check for no loose nuts and bolts. Check cutting deck is securely fastened.
Wheels: Lubricate wheels with WD40 or Vaseline
The battery is crucial to use of the mower and can be expensive to replace. Proper battery maintenance will increase the life of your mower and reduce the cost of replacement batteries over time.
- Follow manufacturers instructions for charging
- Charge immediately after using.
- Try not to run the mower until the battery is completely empty, and don’t store it empty.
- Remove the battery from the mower when you are storing it for a long period through the winter. Check the manufacturer’s guidance for specific notes on battery storage.