If you’re looking to replace your Cordless Hedge Trimmers or buy one for the first time, you’re in the right place. In this guide I will cover the best Cordless Hedge Trimmers in the UK.
Welcome to Larry’s Cordless Hedge Trimmer Buying Guide.
Which is the Best Cordless Hedge Trimmer?
That’s what we’re here to answer. In this guide I’ll break down the best cordless hedge trimmers in 3 different categories:
- Best all-round cordless hedge trimmer — Bosch Cordless Hedge Trimmer AHS 50-20 LI
- Best cheap cordless hedge trimmer — Bosch EasyHedgeCut 12-35
- Best cordless hedge trimmer with pole — Ryobi ONE+ 18V OPT1845
Why a cordless hedge trimmer?
Even the most enthusiastic gardener is unlikely to enjoy hedge trimming, which often involves manual snipping individual branches, or whipping the cord of a trimmer around to avoid getting tangled up and falling into a heap.
These cordless hedge trimmers can save time and effort, helping you to more easily keep hedges and bushes smart.
Cordless hedge trimmers are very popular, but they do have drawbacks:
Choosing a Cordless Hedge Trimmer
Although the basic structure of most cordless hedge trimmers is similar, there are a range of offerings on the market. I have assessed the top cordless hedge trimmers in terms of:
Usability: How much does it weigh? Is it easy to hold? Is it comfortable?
Cut Quality: Does it cut cleanly? What size is the cutting width?
Durability: Is it well-built? How long will it last?
Design: Is it ergonomic? Is it a pleasure to use? Are there any annoying features to the design?
Power: There is rarely such a thing as too much power, go for the most you can afford. Weaker machines can get stuck in hedges or trapped in larger branches.
Extra Features: You might want an extendable pole for cutting difficult-to-reach hedges, or a pivoting blade so that you can rotate the head to cut the top of a hedge.
1.My Top Pick: Bosch Cordless Hedge Trimmer AHS 50-20 LI
- The cordless hedge trimmer AHS 50-20 LI - for mobile and speedy hedge cutting
- Sawing function: Special teeth on the front of the blade effortlessly cut through branches up to 25 mm in diameter
- Blade guard for cutting along walls and paths
- Power for All: One battery pack and one charger for the entire Home and Garden range of tools
- Items included: AHS 50-20 LI, 1 battery pack PBA 18 V 2.5 Ah W-B, AL 1830 CV charger, cardboard box
The instructions state the battery lasts around 45 minutes of continuous use, and most users report around half an hours usage. The trimmer will happily chew its way through thin branches, but will jam on thick branches.
Compared to other similar machines, the Bosch is relatively lightweight, and more than capable of trimming excess growth from leylandii, privet, and even holly and other similar grade hedging.
- Weight: 2.5 Kg
- Blade Length: 5 inches
- Batteries: 1 18V Lithium ion battery included
2.Best cheap cordless hedge trimmer: Bosch EasyHedgeCut 12-35
- Cordless freedom: lightweight and cable-free, ideal for maintaining smaller hedges.
- Continuous cutting: 'anti-blocking system' delivers uninterrupted cutting performance.
- Always ready to use: interchangeable 12 V lithium-ion battery retains its charge so is ready whenever you need it. Battery charge time : 65 mins
Very good value little trimmer, lightweight and cable-free, ideal for maintaining smaller hedges. Good build quality, and a surprisingly long lasting battery.
- Weight: 1.9 Kg
- Blade Length: 350 mm
- Batteries: 1 12V Lithium ion battery included
3.Best cordless hedge trimmer with pole: Ryobi ONE+ OPT1845
- Easily cuts through hedges and branches
- 45cm diamond ground blades for clean cutting
- Capable of cutting large branches with 18mm blade gap
- 115 degrees articulating cutting head with 4 positions for versatile trimming
- Removable extension shaft for full length of 2.9m for extended reach tasks
The Ryobi ONE is a heavier trimmer with more reach, ideal for relatively fit and strong people with wide or tall hedges that require extra reach. A full battery lasts a good hour of constant use or longer, and though it can seem a bit unwieldy, there is a helpful harness supplied.
- Weight: 5.6 Kg
- Blade Length: 450 mm
- Batteries: NOT INCLUDED